Tales of simpler times


First of all even though I have already shared a reel to show the beautiful Book;

I need to mention how amazingly Book is designed. From the Book size to Font size and style, Book cover to illustrations everything is so pleasing and mesmerizing that I was just observing & feeling that for a long time.

A story is memories of emotions experienced by people which are expressed via beautiful words wrapped up with meanings imitating those feelings. But all this works only when there is essence of truth in it. 

Everytime we feel the story, we ultimately feel the emotions having common truth which we all share as Human and as Life itself. The same thing happens with this book. A collective experience of truth and emotions are shared by reades even if they are not from Mauritius. The praising words from the comments of facebook page provide proof to that.

I'm in love with short stories. But when it is told with such simple and lucid narration I just become part of the story. I was in the story fully; watched the match and movie with family, talked on closed shop at evening, played football with all kids, tested sugarcane and cried remembering my Granny. Let me tell you that one properly.

The story where Mother use special grind stone to make different spice and dishes reminded me my Granny. She used to do grinding in another type of cup stone instead of flat one as mentioned here.

I still remember how she used to make different dishes when we went to their house in summer vacation. As small kid I used to take my mother's permission before any food I take. I used to see in her eyes for that and my Granny would say, "Why are you looking at your mother. I'm your mother's mother. You don't need her permission." I still can see and hear that face & voice even if it's little blurry.

The Love for feeding people which we see, is the essence of culture and especially the sensitivity for the people who came to break the stone in house made me realise how I felt the same when similar labour job was happening at my place or in surrounding. Whether Mauritius or India or anywhere else, somethings always remain similar.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Wild Ride Through Brotherhood and Betrayal: My Take on "Blood & Bombay Black" by L.A. Nolan

The Anthology of Balaji

The Way We Were by Prajwal Hegde